Saturday 23 August 2014

Why People Criticize Others and The Downsides

'The purpose of opposition is to oppose everything and propose nothing',  tweeted Dr Debroy.
Indeed, I thought, how easy it is to notice the frailties, foibles, and follies of others while ignoring those of your own!
We all indulge in criticizing others sometime or the other. It comes almost as easily as breathing to most of us. There have been times when I have felt the urge to criticize surging in my heart and given a piece of mind to someone or expressed my displeasure of a person behind his back.
An odd question popped up in my mind.

Why do we like to criticize others?

 
I tossed this question to my buddies, sought their views, organized my thoughts around it, and jotted them down. Here is what it shaped it like.
It is a matter of fact that to be critical of others is built into the human nature. All human beings are prone to form their judgment and opinion about what is ‘desirable’ or ‘undesirable’, ‘good’ or ‘bad’, ‘proper’ or ‘improper’ behavior. Any action of others’ that does not match the expectations, values or judgment of another becomes a potent subject for criticism.
Someone rightly said
Criticism is the disapproval of people not for having faults, but for having faults different from your own.

 

 

Criticism

No comments:

Post a Comment